View Single Post
Old
04-19-2013, 10:12 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
I dunno--I think that's a more dramatic change than we need, or than we are likely to see.

For one thing, I don't think Couturier has that kind of value. He could probably return either Gormley or the 11th overall, perhaps with something small, but not both. IF you're PHX, why not just add a pick or prospect to your 1st to jump up a few spots and grab Monahan?

You're also giving out quite a few long-term UFA deals--Emery, Horton, and Raymond. I've seen a few people target Horton--and I guess that makes sense, though I suspect he'll cost more than that--but I don't really see a need for Raymond, and I'm not convinced Emery is any kind of long-term solution.

I like Gustafsson--and I think we might be able to get him under $1 million for 1-2 years--but not 4. I don't think Zaitsev will come in and get the spot over him at this point, but I'm fine letting them fight it out.

EDIT: I see you took Raymond off.

Does Mantha really project as a strong two-way player at the NHL level? If you're trading a major asset to draft him, I'm not sure why you'd sign Horton long-term. He seems like a top-six or bust type, no?
i like mantha because he is, IMO what this team has lacked sorely the last while. a winger with a nasty shot who can set up for one-timers and also create space for himself. he could be deadly with giroux on the PP in a few years, but i think he has the frame and skill set to step into an NHL role next season. He's also arguably the best skater in the draft, at least amongst forwards. he doesn't project to be a 2-way player, and the knock on him has been that he tends to float sometimes, but he's definitely not a liability in that area either. I think he can become a Bobby Ryan/Corey Perry type player if developed with a strong playmaking center.

he's big, he's tough, he can fly, he has a nasty shot and good hands and he can hit and will drop the gloves as well.

i took raymond off precisely for the reason you stated. he's not really needed, and i agree.

Last edited by orange is better: 04-19-2013 at 10:28 AM.