View Single Post
Old
04-19-2013, 11:55 AM
Dangerdanger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast View Post
Well Mikko Koivu is #1 C in the NHL. Barkov who outplayed Mikko Koivu at the lockout season as a 17 year old when they was matched against. We all know that Mikko Koivu competes everytime when he is on ice despite being FEL game. We are talking 17 year old who basically destroyed every offensive record in FEL for draft eligible player despite being one of the best two-way players if not the best in the league. Not best prospect or young player but arguably best two-way foward in the entire league.

Barkov has already polished game, he creates alot of nonflashy chances and scores alot of goals infront of net and clear majority of goals are scored infront of net. It is the crucial scoring area in game especially in the NHL. Barkov is playing against men and faces experienced pro players. It's not as easy to score flashy goals and dangles against them. It's easier to dangle CHL players who are still unexperienced and are prone to make mistakes. Barkov haven't made alot of highlight reel plays but how much Crosby does those plays nowadays? How much he dangles nowadays? It's just simple and effective. Barkov plays similar offensive game. He has very fast head and can think the game couple steps ahead other players. Crosby is on different level on his head but Barkov is very high-end in that department.

When i compare him to Mikko Koivu Barkov has clearly more offensive talent and is already better than him in many offensive attributes. I have no doubt that Barkov has #1 C potential. In Oilers case #1B. RHN could score slightly more points every year but Barkov is the one who plays every situation, more TOI and is more important and useful for the team.

Barkov is defensively elite and he has potential to be competing for selke every year. How he competes and fight for the puck reminds me from Jere Lehtinen and Mikko Koivu. He doesen't give up in any situation. Isn't as intensive as Koivu but works as hard. Dragan Umicevic the swedish player stated that Barkov is the most talented player he has played with and he clearly stated that he has played with Kopitar. It doesen't mean that he will be as good or better but has talent to be better.

You don't score 48 points as 17 year old in FEL without having #1 potential. Mikko Koivu had 1 point in his draft year. Different era yes but Barkov has made history in FEL offensively. He contributed in WJC as 16 year old. Scoring gamewinner in QF and was younger than Crosby to score in WJC. Had 4 points in 7 games without having any PP time as 3rd C and those points was against Can, Cze, Svk and swe. Statistically he is impressive but when you watch him playing you'll notice that he doesen't have to change thing to translate his offensive game into NHL. Simple, quick, effective and straight foward. When considering his raw skating and it is still developing i think that his offensive ceiling is very high. Sky is the limit but he never will be flashy player just effective.
On another note, how's Umicevic playing this year? I thought he might turn out to be a steal for us. I was incorrect.