Thread: Switzerland: National team discussion
View Single Post
Old
04-19-2013, 12:19 PM
duga

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stv11 View Post
You have to be a bit realistic too. Despite the improvement we've seen over the last ten years, Switzerland is still clearly behind the top 7 talent pools, which means that winning a quarterfinal would be a huge achievement. You seem to oppose Krüger and Simpson's approaches, but Krüger's defensive minded hockey, despite the occasional disappointment, was good for some upsets, usually got the job done and led to close quarterfinals against opponents who had better talent (Switzerland should have beaten Canada in 2000, but against Slovakia in 2003 and 2004, Sweden in 2005 and the US at the Olympics the opponents were better and a bit of luck would have been needed). I'm not sure what you mean when you write that the team had nothing to continue once the quarterfinals were reached, it only happend twice: in 2007 when Switzerland wasn't very good in the first place and lost to the eventual champion, and in 2008 when an improbable combination of results led to a quarterfinal against one of the best World Championship team in recent memories. With Simpson, we've also had strong games against top teams and some disappointment, so two different strategies led to similar results.

My point is, wether you prefer one coach over the other, both had Switzerland were its talent level belongs: right behind the top teams. To reach the next level, we need better players and there's not much a national team coach can do to change this, it takes time and a lot of investment in player developpment.
What I mean is when you play too many workers and too defensive in the prelimary, chances are big that you're running out of gas, when entering the final rounds... with the riskier system Simpson plays I guess there's just a bigger chance for an upset in the later rounds then there was with Krueger. And with the russians being the only big nation whose starplayers hardly ever refuse an invitation, I just don't think that the gap is that big in WCC.

Quote:
Never been a big fan of that kind of player. Alain Berger wouldn't bring much, we already have players who can bring some toughness while being better skater and having more skills, and I won't change my mind because he managed a highlight worthy shot. Any player can find the top corner once in a while. If the German goon it up, just let them do and score on the power play.
When having a bit time, finding the topcorners from the slot (normally closer to the net then his goal against FG) is just his biggest strengh for ever, I remember him scoring similar goals for the U20 (on Schäppi's side IIRC). He just hasn't been used that way since returning. His skating is very questionable, there you're right and probably hinders him from having an intern. career. And when he would get a chance, he would be a role player on 4th line with good skating linemates and play the crease in PP situations (Gardner probably won't be an option anymore).

Quote:
Regarding Scherwey, I hate pests, I prefer to win because I play better hockey, not because I was better at tricking my opponent into taking penalties
I hate him too, and if I'd be Steinmann, he wouldn't have played in the finals anymore (blindsided to the head with all time in the world to realize that the opponent is very vulnerable.... It just reminded me so much of the Savard-Cooke incident)

But there isn't a comparable powerskater in switzerland...he could be the perfect fit for the 4th line.

duga is offline   Reply With Quote