View Single Post
Old
04-19-2013, 04:03 PM
Bacdahelup

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PointyElbows View Post
Not simply a matter of 5 days for Disney on Ice. County owns the arena, and for past few years managed the arena through their Convention and Visitors Bureau, which gave it a balance of local promotion. However, last month Gwinnett County entered into partnership with AEG, and effectively all management of the facility has been handed off. http://www.gwinnettcenter.com/AEG.696.0.html

Don't be surprised if all hockey decisions will now be based solely on financial criteria, driving the bottom line.

Guess who manages the Cyclones arena?
Like I said, a Disney type production is at least 11 days of hockey downtime. We do it every year in the middle of the hockey season when there are no games for 2 weeks. I need 1 day for the conversion and then paint it white. Overnight flooding, then another day of flooding and finishing touches. 2 more days after Disney to get it back to hockey.

In a perfect world there would be no conflicts, but the facilities out there have to make money too. If you were to take away from them 20k here, 50k there, 35k here, etc, it adds up quickly and blows out a budget. The team isn't losing any of its regular season games, which is their budget.

As I type, dirt is being dropped off in our arena. So if we had won our 1st round, no matter their
seed, the team would be on the road this weekend, and no practice for 5 or 6 days.

Bacdahelup is offline   Reply With Quote