View Single Post
Old
04-19-2013, 06:09 PM
Kayen
Fire Eakins

vCash: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
For everyone mouthing that Tambellini wasn't in control and that Lowe was the puppetmaster.... something just doesn't add up.

The player transactions since 2008, when Tambellini arrived have been steadily more and more... unLowe-like. Kevin Lowe, as GM, was the chaos manager, "expect the unexpected" and he would go after big fish like Heatley, or signed offer sheets on Penner and Vanek.

Nothing like that has happened. Tambellini has been nicknamed "mr. dithers" because of a lack of BIG transactions. Even for a team that is going through a rebuild, they can make big moves like trading for an extra top five draft pick (ala Sedins by Brian Burke), something that I could see Kevin Lowe doing.

But again, nothing. Just a bunch of 3rd and 4th line signings. Its why I really disbelieve the conspiracy theory that Kevin Lowe is actually in charge of the GM duties. If he was, can you imagine the red-faced, passionate blustery man who was at the press conference this week being the man to sign Eric Belanger, Cam Barker, Nik Khabibulin, Ben Eager, trading for Mike Brown, Andy Sutton etc. as the major moves of his tenure?

I just can't see it. The GM of the Oilers the past four years, has truly been Mr. Dithers, Steve Tambellini.
This makes a lot of sense. Lowe tried to at least make trades that impacted the team on a regular basis to make an effort. i.e. Erik Cole trade, Lubo trade, they all worked towards movements, and the optics of those moves all seemed better than the little swaps that Tambi did..

Kayen is offline   Reply With Quote