View Single Post
Old
04-19-2013, 09:01 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Hawk View Post
Actually, Hans, that was not the case. Dallas did not buy a franchise and move it. They were given that "temporary" franchise but i do not recall if that was before or after Iowa had theirs suspended by the league.
I was avoiding going into that particular confusing detail -- the T-Stars played in Cedar Park with a "conditional" membership for the first season, that condition being that they agree to purchase a _real_ franchise ASAP. And guess what? They did so during the playoffs of that first season, purchasing the Chops:

http://www.texasstarshockey.com/arti...s-cedar-park-l

Quote:
Cedar Park, TX – The Texas Stars, in conjunction with the American Hockey League and Hicks Cedar Park, LLC, announced Tuesday that the American Hockey League Board of Governors has unanimously approved the purchase of the Iowa Chops inactive franchise by Hicks Cedar Park, LLC, owners of the Texas Stars.

“On behalf of the Hicks family, we are proud to officially become a member of the American Hockey League”, said Executive Vice President of Hicks Cedar Park, LLC, Mack Hicks. “We have a great base of hockey fans here in Central Texas and this purchase reaffirms our commitment to the sport and to the Austin area. The Texas Stars are just one element in our continuing efforts to bring the highest quality entertainment to the Cedar Park Center.”
The purchase brings the Texas Stars to full membership in the AHL and satisfies the conditions of the limited membership granted to Hicks Cedar Park for the 2009-10 season.
So yes, Dallas bought and moved a franchise to Cedar Park -- so I'm right... but yes, that was a year after the T-Stars started playing, so you're right too.

HansH is offline   Reply With Quote