View Single Post
Old
04-19-2013, 09:12 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
Yzerman scored as well as the other two, but was also considered one of the league's better defensive forwards that season and received Selke votes (as he had the prior season and would many other seasons in his career).

Yzerman was clearly the best ES player in the league; not having the PP scoring support of Gretzky (Nicholls, Robitaille, Duchesne) or Lemieux (Brown, Coffey, Quinn) doesn't make him less of a player.

I think it's possible that giving the Hart to Gretzky over Lemieux was the media "making up" for Gretzky having not won the previous year when he was clearly the best player and deserving MVP, but missed 16 games. Had the Gretzky trade not occurred, and Gretzky scored the 100 points Jimmy Carson did in while Carson scored Gretzky's 168 in LA, Carson finishes a distant third for the Hart behind Lemieux and Yzerman; if he even beats Nicholls and his 70-80-150.
While I agree with you Eva, the Hart is generally given to the player with the most points, this will probably be even more so in the future with the Selke around but only time will tell.

I think a pretty good argument can be made for all 3 players for the hart in 89, to pick any of the 3 as a lock for the hart would be ignoring the other 2 players impact IMO.