View Single Post
Old
04-20-2013, 08:25 AM
shutehinside

vCash: 500
[QUOTE=Draft;64310417]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Missed the point, you are giving away D depth by moving Diaz or Emelin. My point was to move Marky to number 5, and get one more top 4 big guy. That guy is our tough depth WITH Emelin and Tinordi. One of them will always be hurt.

If no acceptable UFA, then I don't think we have enough forward depth to trade for a top 4D. DD will get us nothing, and I'm not trading Eller. I'm not trading Kristo or Collberg either. Way too much upside.

For a top 4 D, It's UFA or nothing, unfortunately.

Not a stop gap. A top 4 to play with those guys during our cup window.

The time for waiting hasn't really started yet...

Bergevin came in with a 3-5 year plan to make the team consistent Stanley Cup contenders. We are on year one. He traded Cole to make cap room, signed Armstrong, Bouillon and Prust so we could protect the rookies' in their development, he cut Kaberle and Gomez to make room for the future, and he traded a 5th for Drewiske to keep Beaulieu, Pateryn and Tinordi from having to step in during the playoffs.

We aren't trying to contend this year or next, potentially not even the year after that unless we sign great players in Free Agency. Our core defensive and offensive players are too early in their development to expect them to be contenders next year. Our "cup window" is when Pacioretty, Desharnais, Eller, Price and Subban are all in their primes ~2 years. Hopefully we'll have another cup window when Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Beaulieu, Tinordi, Kristo/Collberg are in their primes ~4-5yrs and these players are still competing.

Next year is a wash year as far as I'm concerned. If we can acquire or sign a couple of younger guys or RFAs then that's great, we could make the playoffs. If we can trade aging assets or aging depth for another younger #1 or #2 dman it puts the team closer to contending. There are no Top-4 dmen in this year's UFA crop, Markov is no longer a #2 and as you said, would best be suited to #5. Emelin and Diaz have both played their best hockey with Markov and haven't shown they can be productive individually (haven't had much of a chance to). I don't see Diaz or Emelin as cup-contending Top-4 d-men. They are older defenceman, not experienced NHL defenceman. Gorges shouldn't be our #2.

If we can trade Gionta, Markov, Desharnais, Bourque, Bouillon, Moen, Gorges and even one of Emelin/Diaz to real contenders who's windows are closing for their high-impact prospects, picks or roster players... then I am very happy. Plekanec shouldn't be traded until Galchenyuk or Eller can take his spot. I'd say that would be the year after next.

I hate to say it but, I doubt the team will produce like it has this year. There will be sophomore slumps and aging players and a longer schedule for our smaller team. The players that can be brought in by FA won't cover the losses or make huge differences. This isn't our time to be a contender, let's build for when that time comes.
So you'd like to completely overhaul the 2nd best in the East and top 5 in the NHL? Tough crowd.