View Single Post
Old
04-20-2013, 10:14 AM
jigglysquishy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sansabri View Post
i'm one of those people. Gretzky came into the NHL ( well, WHA first ) with a stacked team and put up insane numbers. Lemieux came into the NHL on a bottom feeding team that took years before they even became a contender.

while Gretzky was an insanely gifted playmaker and would have most likely not suffered much during the dead puck era - i highly doubt the same can be said about his goalscoring.

and when you come down to the meat of it, with everything that has happened to Lemieux - the only difference is a measly 0.04 PPG difference between the two.

i've seen both play a lot growing up and Lemieux was just on another level to me. he was tall, had a great reach, could at a turn of a dime just burn a defender, he could score from anywhere even during the dead puck era while carrying 2-3 guys on him ( hell, we've seen him score one-handed )...

if he had been able to be healthier, i know without a doubt he would have broken a lot of Gretzky's records.
Just to touch on the falsehood of the early Oilers being good.

In 1980 (Gretzky's rookie year) the Oilers finished 16th of 21 teams. Jari Kurri and Paul Coffey are not in the NHL. A rookie Mark Messier scores 33 points. Gretzky still lead the league in points and won the Hart Trophy as a teenager. Who were the other guys on his team? A 94 point Blair MacDonald who's next best season was 43 points. After that it's a 66 point Stanley Weir. Even with Gretzky's help the Oilers are still only 9th in GF.

In 1981 the Oilers finished 13th of 21 teams. Coffey, Kurri, and Messier are all under 80 points. Gretzky dominates the scoring race. His 164 points are more than double the second best Oiler; a 75 point Kurri.

In 1982 the Oilers finally get good; finishing 2nd overall and 1st in GF. Gretzky breaks the point record for a second consecutive season. He doubles the second best Oiler (Anderson at 105 points) and has more goals than anyone, but Anderson had points.