View Single Post
Old
04-20-2013, 05:48 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
Even though Howson is no longer the Bluejackets' GM, I still think a Hemsky to Columbus deal makes a lot of sense for both sides (depending on the return, of course).

They just added Gaborik, but are still weak on the right side, and currently operate the league's worst powerplay. Hemsky gives them a RH shot and a valuable powerplay asset at RW.

Dubinsky, Umberger, Foligno, and Prospal are all LWs (though Umberger seems to play all 3F positions at times with the BJs). Plus, MacKenzie plays LW from time to time even though he's a center. Prospal is a UFA, but I think they'll bring him back for one more season. They also have a fair amount of defensive depth and will be adding Murray to it next season.

What the actual trade would look like? I have no idea, but Hemsky for one of their LWs would seem like a good place to start. Umberger seems like the most likely candidate from a CBJ perspective, but I'd have to think anybody trading for him will only do so if the Jackets retain some of the salary. I could even see both sides retaining salary. Works out to a wash next year, but with the Umberger contract extending to the 2017 offseason, there's a lot more risk that comes with RJ than Hemsky.