View Single Post
Old
12-30-2003, 12:29 PM
beerpaul*

vCash: 500
If it's not size you like in Holik, what is it? Don't tell me he's a winner. I could have played on those Devil teams and won a cup. Plus, that was then, this is now. What has he done lately? I'm not saying build a team around Savard, I'm saying why does Marc get so little respect for what he's done this year.QUOTE=Mike8]Size is low on what I look for in a player. Please don't make presumptions like that. It degrades conversation quickly.

I like what Savard's done this year. He's been an offensive threat and isn't riding anyone's coattails. But I wouldn't feel comfortable building a team around him right now, whereas I'm confident in Holik's abilities. He's a proven playoff performer who's consistent in racking up 40-50+ points each year while shutting down the opposition. He may have had some tough stretches in New York, but he's a winner and is proven.

If I'm building a team from scratch, that's what I'll look for. Holik's history, and capabilities right now outweigh Savard's for me in terms of building a new team. That's not to say Holik's more talented, or that Savard won't be better in the long run. I made my list as though I was building a new team for one season for a shot at the Cup, not for the long haul.

I also didn't consider players like Lecavalier, Koivu, Richards, or Allison, despite the fact that they're all far more talented than Madden or Holik. The reason being that they're all either unreliable in terms of clutch performance, or unreliable due to injury history.[/QUOTE]