View Single Post
Old
04-21-2013, 04:03 AM
goooal

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
mirtle 2:09pm via TweetDeck Ryan O'Byrne said today that NHL teams don't trust the NHL generated stats and keep their own for hits, turnovers, chances, etc.

I didn't think that chances were tracked by NHL.

But I will admit that the discrepancies between venues is amazing. (What's a hit in one is not in another.)

Will be interesting to see what comes of this.
Is this really news worthy? Maybe more to the point, is it actually news to anyone?

I remember Lindy Ruff several years back stating in a post game presser something along the lines of "We had them with about X amount (cant remember) shots on Ryan [Miller] that period". The X amount was of course way different than the official tally.

Its always been like this. Its not even so much that it's not trusted. It's just that teams, because they have different purposes than the league, count shots, takeaway, etc differently. Teams arent interested in what is technically a takeaway, etc theyre interested in counting plays that clearly impact play negatively or positively and with the way the NHL counts those stats (not to mention rink to rink variation) the teams can naturally tally totals that aid them more in determining what they need to do than NHL totals would.

goooal is offline   Reply With Quote