View Single Post
Old
04-21-2013, 08:07 AM
Glacial

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartysBetterThanYou View Post
There's one aspect of the urban experience that's missing from those developments: diversity. Part of the reason I prefer urban living to suburban living is the diversity, in multiple aspects. I enjoy having people in my neighborhood that do not necessarily come from the same life background as me, whether it is racially/ethnically, socioeconomically, politically, etc. City neighborhoods will have wealthy blue-bloods and working-class immigrants living side-by-side, interacting, sending their kids to school together, etc. That is something I enjoy that "suburban lifestyle developments" don't have.
Not sure what you mean. I live in the suburbs (and I'm white) and among my neighbors as long as I've lived here are/were whites (high-class, redneck, Irish, Italian, German, English, Polish, etc), blacks (African-Americans and African immigrants), Filipinos, Hispanics, Koreans. To anyone driving by with a stereotype of suburbs, I'm sure the streets and well-tended lawns would seem like a sea of whiteness, but while whites are the majority, there is quite a diversity of races/backgrounds in it.

And back in the late '80s thru '90s when I was mostly in K-12, while the schools were still majority white (about 75% IIRC), there were loads of African-Americans, Hispanics (more as the '90s went on), quite a few Indians (#3 ethnic group by size til Latinos really started immigrating), Filipinos, Eastern Europeans (Poles, Croatians, Slovaks... or were they Slovenes? I distinguish them because they came over in the '80s or '90s, as opposed to Polish-Americans who have been here for 80+ years by the time the kids were born), and smaller numbers of Chinese, Koreans, Arabs, Africans. Even saw one Sikh at high school.

The experience you painted of suburbs was an experience my mom described to me of what suburbs were like when she was a kid and in school (she's a Baby Boomer)- all white, only a select few European nations as countries of origin, one token minority kid (not one group, just one kid). I wouldn't like to live in a conformist enclave fearful of anyone of a different race/class and enjoyed growing up with people from so many different parts of the world originally. I feel it made me more well-adjusted to demographic changes and less fearful/suspicious towards other ethnic groups. I live and have lived in a major metro in the Midwest, so my late 20th/early 21st suburban experience might be different from other metro areas.