View Single Post
Old
04-21-2013, 01:31 PM
Slay

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slovakiasnextone View Post
Also Galchenyuk? Does one turn into being ethnically Russian by obtaining Russian citizenship? Because I was always under the impression that Galchenyuk was ethnically Belarussian? Unless his mother is Russian as I'm 100% positive abut his father being Belarussian.
Tricky topic. While being "ethnically Belarusian" he has an Ukrainian last name and speaks Russian natively but doesn't speak Belarusian or Ukrainian. As I understand he lived little more in Russia than anywhere else (played for Dynamo Moscow from the age of 9 to 15). So culturally I guess he is more Russian, or maybe Russian-American (then again you could say that about many Russian NHLers minus US passport). Ethnically? I have no idea. But he is surely closer to an ethnic Russian than "I am not Russian" Yakupov, heh. In any case all that huge territory is sort of a melting pot, especially for Slavs. Probably every 4th Russian citizen has an Ukrainian or Belarusian last name, and quite a bit of Ukrainian and Belarusian citizens have Russian names.

Last edited by Slay: 04-21-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Slay is offline   Reply With Quote