View Single Post
04-21-2013, 04:33 PM
Blue Liner
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
BRB, applying for a loan.

Seriously, do you have to add a roof to it or something? Also within a 3 drive to Tampa, Orlando, and Miami. Hell, even the Keys are within 5 hours. Wanna be neighbors?
I know, I can't get over it. There are a lot of really nice houses there for very good prices. My aunt and uncle live there so I know it's nice and I've had them doublecheck some addresses and they're all in good areas. None are foreclosures which is nice, too.

Location is great. Driving distance to those places, still a two hour flight back to Chicago to visit. Can drive two and half hours/three hours to Miami to hop on a cruise. It's sweet.

Originally Posted by TorMenT View Post
Cost of living is low in certain locations. For example, a 350,000 house in chicago could cost 150,000 in Rockford. You also get paid less working in Rockford, typically. That's why I'll never live in a big city, or close to one. It's so much cheaper to live outside the city.
Getting away from a city like Chicago means everything as far as price goes. The houses in Florida that are in the $500,000 range would be well over $1 million here, and they wouldn't come with half the things the Florida homes have like the crazy outdoor setups for the pools, water access to the ocean, dock, etc.

Originally Posted by MTP View Post
That second house is unreal. I would be moved in by the end of next week if I were you.
I like that one a lot. My girlfriend is in love with the first one, which is sweet, too. But I love the second one. So many have living rooms that go right out to the pool/patio and it's all open. I love it.

Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
I don't think many people could make the same money in Florida as they do here. For those like you that, go for it. I can't image no more winters and living right by the ocean.
Yeah I'm sure not all jobs work like that. I was surprised, to say the least. I'm not sure about police, but EMS and fire department gigs are in the same wheelhouse salary-wise and with the decreased taxes and home prices you're coming out that much better. It makes it almost a no-brainer. There are downsides to leaving here, but I've left once before and know what those are and the positives far outweigh the negatives for us.