View Single Post
Old
04-21-2013, 09:56 PM
Bluesman91

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
For the people who want Paul Stastny, there was a shattdeuces tweet last night about David Jones, Stastny, Shattenkirk and Stewart all having dinner together. Stastny is from St. Louis and undoubtedly has plenty of friends in town, and is close with two Blues players (and maybe Leopold too). AND the Blues need another skilled center. I strongly believe this is a case where the Blues could confidently wait til UFA for Stastny and get him at a lower salary. Yes, they might not have him for a playoff run next year because the division rival Avs won't want to trade him in the division, but it's a prime chance for a negotiating rights trade just before UFA hits. Avs might rent him to a non-division contending team before the deadline next year, but if he wants to come to St. Louis, the Blues should feel confident they can make him an excellent situational pitch if he'll play for the 4M range. They can't pay him more than Backes (he doesn't deserve it). I only bring this up to say that while it's certainly possible Stastny is a Blue in 14-15 there's almost no way Avs trade him in-division to the Blues in 13-14.
If the Avs really go into short rebuild mode I could see getting Stas in the off-season for a Bouwmeester-like trade and work out his new contract during next year.