View Single Post
Old
04-21-2013, 11:24 PM
Neely08

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
I think people might be concerned that not being informed of his rights could give him a method to get his case thrown out of court on a technicality. Even the scummiest scum that ever walked the earth has to be informed of his rights in this country, according to the Miranda ruling. That's what makes us different from places like North Korea.

The administration decided not to have his rights read by invoking a recent, little-used anti-terror ruling. Sorry I can't recall the exact details; my mind's gone a bit fuzzy with all the news.
Quote:
The "public safety" exception to Miranda is a powerful tool with a modern application for law enforcement. When police officers are confronted by a concern for public safety, Miranda warnings need not be provided prior to asking questions directed at neutralizing an imminent threat, and voluntary statements made in response to such narrowly tailored questions can be admitted at trial. Once the questions turn from those designed to resolve the concern for safety to questions designed solely to elicit incriminating statements, the questioning falls outside the scope of the exception and within the traditional rules of Miranda.
http://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/pu...1/legal_digest