View Single Post
Old
04-22-2013, 08:47 AM
deanwormer

vCash: 500
Smith always leaves me scratching my head. I see the talent, I see the hustle and work - sometimes; other times he just seems to be out there - someone put it gliding ala Brett Hull - that seems kinda' right. So, his game - today - doesn't really fit.

However...... 2 things - we've seen the potential, speed, quick shot, moves, etc., and we have had players like this actually be productive in Nash. Not very often, but, I would argue the Arnott line had plenty of this over the years - and the only forechecking I remember PK doing was going down there and then diving. Not suggesting Smith is anywhere close to those guys yet - but he's certainly shown the potential to be as good as any of those guys, except maybe PK.

So - methinks we live with the fact that he's gonna' be terribly overpaid next year, but if we want him to develop, we put him with some skill players and see what we got, without dogging him on the screwups (or more, the lack of moving legs and digging) so much that he ends up like a whipped puppy with his tale between his legs.

Just don't see how we can give up on him at 23; and really, next year we aren't gonna' be so hot anyway - be the perfect year to give him some space and talented linemates and see what happens.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote