View Single Post
Old
04-22-2013, 11:05 AM
tazzy19

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
One might argue Ray Bourque or Nicklas Lidstrom for recent players.

A 28 year-old Gordie Howe, who led the league in goals and points with 44-45-89; ahead of Ted Lindsay's career-high 85 and a peak Jean Beliveau's 84. Beliveau and Maurice Richard tied for second in the league in goals with 33.

I'll take the league goals and points leader who is physical, good defensively, and a capable playmaker over the league assists leader who barely led his team in scoring and was well off of the league scoring lead pace.
Nice cherry pick. You just happened to use a year where one of the top 3 or 4 players ever to play the game had the best points year of his entire career, and one of the top 5 points seasons of all time. I'd like to see Gordie Howe compete with that.

And since we're cherry picking, I'll pick 30 year old Gretzky over 28 year old Gretzky any day of the week . After all, he demolished 2nd place that year by over 30 points, and beat his closest teammate by over 70 points, didn't he? (Oh, and let's not forget the best assist season of all time by anyone not named.....oh, that's right, himself.)