View Single Post
Old
04-22-2013, 11:12 AM
tazzy19

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
Despite the fact that Gretzky wins the "total accumulation" offensive race, I choose Lemieux as the better player for the 90s.

Why?

Instead of simply being an elite player from the mid 90s on like Gretzky, Lemieux was still DOMINANT. This is where the "Lemieux>Gretzky" view comes from. Those too young to have seen dominant Gretzky saw Lemieux (the best player in the world) playing a significantly higher level of hockey than they ever saw from Gretzky. Lemieux's mirror was shattered after he returned from retirement, in the same way Gretzky's was; an older, declined Lemieux was still a great player but couldn't dominate like he once did.

It's an argument that happens often; many Wings fans prefer Datsyuk to Fedorov, and there have been many who felt Fedorov was better than Yzerman. The historical truth of the matter is the complete reverse.
But Lemieux WAS the better player in the 90s. Gretzky was in his 30s, in his decline, 5 years older than Lemieux, and played more hockey since joining the NHL than Lemieux had played in his entire life. I'm not sure I see the point.