View Single Post
Old
04-22-2013, 01:05 PM
dyzfunctioned

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoss45 View Post
For the current Oilers, yes size does matter. They have such a shortage of it up front that they have to address it. Monahan plays a power forward's game, in that he protects the puck well and can cycle. Again, this matters, especially for the Oilers.

To be honest if we compare who is a better fit on this team between Monahan/Lindholm based on projecting them as J Staal/Backstrom, i'd argue Monahan/Staal type is what we need. Size, selke-caliber 2-way play, who is good on the dot and plays all situations.

Plus, I have never heard anyone compared pre-draft to Toews, until Monahan. That is extremely high praise, and something every team covets.
Because 2 inches in height makes Monahan a dominant on-ice force and Lindholm a soft, small swede? Lindholm is a very physical player and is dominant on the puck and can protect the puck as well as anyone in this draft... there's a reason his play style garners comparisons to Peter Forsberg. I don't like throwing out player comparisons because 99% of the time the players don't turn out like the people they're compared to and it's placing unwarranted expectations on the player but I'll take Forsberg over Toews every day of the week thank you.

Another fact that almost every Monahan supporter seems to ignore is that he's one of the oldest players in the draft. Barkov is like a year younger, is the same height, and weighs 25 lbs more.