View Single Post
Old
04-22-2013, 04:11 PM
Power2ThePenguins

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Power2ThePenguins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch for the Yeti View Post
Any information on being a hockey journalist? It's not really something I really want to be (still want to get into Urban Planning or Bussiness) but something I'm looking into.
I looked into this myself a while ago and spent a year or two hoping to get into hockey writing/media relations with a team. My best advice to you would be to be prepared to write for free for a good, long time. There are plenty of sites on the web you can do this at (I can PM them to you with some info on each), but the competition is intense for things like credentials, future job openings, etc. When I was on the job market, I would apply for jobs with teams that drew 300-500 applicants, or more, even on the minor league level. I had a contact with a minor league team, and that wasn't even enough to give me an edge over other applicants. If you're going to do this, make sure you have a thick skin because the rejections WILL pile up, especially when you are first starting out.

I also have a friend who was writing his own blog about our hometown team (not Pittsburgh, contrary to my username) for the last two seasons, traveling to road games on his own dime to live tweet and make blog posts, etc. This season, he finally started getting credentials and landed a job with a small newspaper to cover an AHL team, but his conduct and attitude at times (he tends to be cocky, and I have overheard his statements at times...ugh!) have turned him off to some media relations folks. I'd say if you're going to do this, make sure you're professional at all times.

I am currently on a break from the hockey writing, as I was worn out from the grind of having a full-time job and writing for no pay when I wasn't working. Ultimately, I wanted to be a fan for a little while without trying to get into the working media side, and I am pretty happy with that. I have thought about writing again, but the hit to my energy and personal life doesn't seem worth it, knowing that I'd be doing it for no pay. I also got a promotion at my job a few months ago, and a decent raise to boot, so I'm not sure I'd still be willing to take the pay cut to work with a team.

Also, this isn't really mandatory, but if you can, get a mentor. Mine is a media relations director for a team, and I can't say enough good things about him. It was good knowing that I had that kind of support and encouragement, someone to put a word in for me for jobs, etc. It's worth it if you get connected to the right person, but even if you don't, keep looking.

Power2ThePenguins is offline   Reply With Quote