View Single Post
Old
04-22-2013, 04:33 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
ah ok thanks BD. Its always the bonuses that catch me.

I like Luongo but I don't like his contract. he said that as much too. The problem with Luongo's contract is:

a) he's currently unmoveable to any team. If the Oilers trade for him, expect him to be just as unmoveable to any other team if they need the cap space.

b) assuming then that's he unmoveable and that his cap space is 5.3333 for nine more years, that means someone else has to be moved if you get into cap space trouble.

c) the oilers are going to be in cap space trouble in the future. even without luongo, they're already paying $6 million per season to eberle and hall starting next year. RNH and Yakupov are going to be paid. Justin Schultz ELC will expire next year, he will get paid. Gagner is going to get paid.

d) And that's not assuming any additional monies for a first pairing defenseman, that the Oilers currently don't have.

Luongo on three year deal is more than fine. Luongo on a nine more year deal, is a killer.
People worry about Yak, Rnh and Schultz, but why do we have to pay these guys? Subban and Del Zotto never got the big money so maybe it's time to make a stand. Subban had character flaws according to some and he doesn't seem to be playing like he's pissed off that he didn't get the big deal.

Even RNH, not sure how you look into a 5+ year deal with him unless he gets 80 points next year. We signed Hall and Eberle last summer, in hindsight I really don't know that we saved anything by signing them early.