Thread: GDT: U-18 WJC Day 5
View Single Post
Old
04-22-2013, 05:30 PM
Latgale_fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
but you don't deny that CHL is just a cute wrapper around the MHL with an insert lottery ticket to the NHL? A European player would usually benefit greatly from playing in familiar environment until mature.
In Latvia we don't really have experience of growing a talent by ourselves... the last one was probably Kārlis Skrastiņ and his junior years were already 20 years ago. People fear that our coaches are not good enough to raise a talent to top class anymore... I personally don't hold that view, but in Latvia you really lack perspective and you're surrounded by laziness and mediocricy. In Russia if you are not that good then your U18 or U20 team (or KHL club) is always in front of you to remind what is the level you need to play to achieve something. In Latvia, as Bukarts said in an interview "some guys on the team are just happy to be in Sochi and play there''. That's probably why many people encourage Latvians to leave. True, now we play in MHL and have Dinamo Rīga so these guys can see what is the level of top prospects in Russia and how good you need to be to play in KHL, but I don't know if they themselves believe that they can grow up to be good players (for NHL) in Latvia.

On the other hand all the somewhat talented guys that went through CHL (Bārtulis, Karsums, Kulda, Daugaviņ) although played some time in NHL (or still play) did not amount to much there- I mean three of them were draften in 2-3rd round and have not really contributed as much as others draftes as high. Sprukts spent some time at home and in Finland before going to NHL, but he wasn't really such a big talent too, so it's hard to tell. I'd love to see Golovkovs and Bukarts develop in Dinamo Rīga system but I won't be too sad if they decide otherwise.