Thread: Speculation: Off-Season 2013
View Single Post
Old
04-22-2013, 08:54 PM
Bolt32

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Weekes Notice View Post
Perhaps I haven't done a good job of making my stance clear. I'm not really arguing that we need an elite top pair, I'm arguing that if Jones has the potential to be that generational defenseman (which, as much as we all like Hedman, I don't think he'll get there), that's where you have a solid foundation for your dynasty. Guys like Stamkos and Hedman would not have to carry the team through the playoffs every year, and rather could be more of high-level contributors.

It's very possibly a moot point given that Jones is FAR from a lock to become that generational defenseman. But if you as a GM think he's got a good shot, I don't think anyone in this specific draft could possibly have more value.
Eh hes still very young and playing at a very high level. Arguments could be made that he is not a number 1 yet in his career and you will probably have good footing to make that claim, however he isn't close to what he will become. Jones looks like he could very well be a better defensemen by the end of it all, but Hedman is going to be a star in his own right. Regardless if we get Jones or not, I think Hedman will be the defensemen we drafted him to be. It will be as if a team got both Lidstrom and Pronger. Logic will dictate that Lidstrom will be the better of the two, but it's not as if Pronger couldn't hold down the fort on any given night if needed.

Edit: Didn't see you put the Generational tag down there. Generational for me, their only has been three ever to grace the term Generational in my mind. Orr, Gretzky and Mario......Very elite players after that, but not generational. So I actually agree with that Statement. Hedmen isn't a Generational nor do I think he ever will be. Elite I'd be willing to toss at him however.