View Single Post
Old
04-22-2013, 09:57 PM
Soundwave

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
But this "worn out" excuse has been used since Game 15 for him...weird huh?

He's a great piece for the future, and I'd keep him unless there's a huge overpay/piece coming back (OEL-range player in return for a combo). 50-pt blueliners don't grow on trees.

That being said, the top-pairing hype is getting ridiculous. He's an offensive defenseman, and by no means a complete player.

There's some huge steps needed for him to get to that point (size, awareness, etc). From listening to him analyze the game, he seems like a smart kid, so I think the awareness will eventually get there.

To me, he turns into Keith Yandle in a couple years. Sick offensive defenseman that requires sheltering in a second pairing role. Not quite a top-pairing defenseman.
Keith Yandle would be a top pairing d-man on a lot of teams, even a lot of good teams. Yandle would be top pairing in Pittsburgh and LA IMO.

"Top pairing d-man" doesn't mean some unbelievable high end d-man. Marc Andre Bergeron was a top pairing d-man for the Oilers for much of 05-06, lol.

Schultz can develop into a solid no.2 d-man, which is technically a "top pairing D", perhaps a bit more even.