View Single Post
Old
04-22-2013, 09:58 PM
BraveCanadian

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
Oates was the better and more important player when they were together. But he missed significant time. He was on pace for 150+ points in the over 60 games he played. Outside of the five players who have done it, plus that year for Oates, I'm not sure I can think of another season where a player went 60+ games on pace for 150+ points.
People who were watching them at the time didn't think so.

This fiction that Hull was somehow a product of Oates has to stop.

I see it over and over on the board here. Hull had perhaps the best trigger ever and Oates is one of the best playmakers ever AND they had chemistry together but come on.. they were great players in their own right.

In the 19 games Oates missed that season, Hull scored 18 goals without him.

That being said I am sure both of them would tell you playing together was a highlight for them. They had "it".

Quote:
Makarov likely would have been able to produce comparable numbers to Bossy. While Adjusted numbers are not perfect as scoring distribution between top-sixers and bottom-sixers varies greatly through history, Bossy's final season (30 y/o) using HR's adjusted stats comes out to 32 AdjG. Makarov, who was playing in a depth role when he came over at age 31, scored 20 and then followed it up with 27 AdjG at 32. He put up another 27 AdjG at 35. Given normal career arcs, Makarov likely would have competed with and possibly outproduced Bossy based on the eye test and what statistics suggest. Bossy is one of the "lucky greats"; he was a great player, but he basically stepped right into a first-line scoring role on a deep team next to a Hall of Fame and Hart/Art Ross caliber two-way center with a 100-point top-ten all-time defenseman behind them. His prime coincided with the league's highest scoring period era (aside from the WWII years). He was in the perfect spot to break every known goal scoring role. If we eliminate Gretzky and Lemieux, and Bossy remains healthy, NYI keeps winning Cups with a first line featuring LaFontaine/Bossy, and Trottier moves into sort of a "Messier" role on the second line.
You have to be good to be lucky and lucky to be good.

Oh: Mario Lemieux.

There we are on topic again.