View Single Post
Old
04-22-2013, 10:07 PM
CupofOil
Fire Lowe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
But this "worn out" excuse has been used since Game 15 for him...weird huh?

He's a great piece for the future, and I'd keep him unless there's a huge overpay/piece coming back (OEL-range player in return for a combo). 50-pt blueliners don't grow on trees.

That being said, the top-pairing hype is getting ridiculous. He's an offensive defenseman, and by no means a complete player.

There's some huge steps needed for him to get to that point (size, awareness, etc). From listening to him analyze the game, he seems like a smart kid, so I think the awareness will eventually get there.

To me, he turns into Keith Yandle in a couple years. Sick offensive defenseman that requires sheltering in a second pairing role. Not quite a top-pairing defenseman.
Yandle IS a top pairing defenseman and one of the best offensive defensemen in the game although playing soft minutes does help him. If Schultz can be that good, i'm sure that we'll all be happy with that.
It's your constant nitpicking of the mistakes he makes that reeks of a ridiculous agenda. It has been pointed out to you many times that he is a kid coming straight out of college who had to adjust to an AHL schedule and now an odd, shortened NHL season schedule all in one season. He has also been given too much responsibility too soon, has a fringe NHLer as a defense partner and a clueless coach preaching some kind of system that no Oiler player has grasped so of course his mistakes are going to be magnified, no need to beat the dead horse like you've been doing with this kid.

I do know that he looked terrific in the first half of the season at both ends of the ice so the potential is obviously there to be a legit top pairing defenseman but he has a ways to go. The potential is why so many of us have him as an untouchable.