View Single Post
Old
04-23-2013, 02:59 PM
pdd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavels Dog View Post
Is Weiss normally used as a 3rd line C?
If we have a third-line of Nyquist/Weiss/Brunner, we would have Z, Dats, Franzen, Sammy/replacement, Flip/replacement, and maybe Tatar in the top-six. Abdelkader/Helm/Tootoo as the fourth line.

I like Weiss' game and think he would be a good pickup, and that we might be able to get him for less than he would *normally* cost right now. Especially since he supposedly would prefer to play near his hometown, meaning he would prefer to play for Detroit or Toronto if possible.

Given Datsyuk's potential departure after next season and Weiss' style of play, I think he's a good fit as "insurance". "Worst case" scenario if Datsyuk stays? Z or Dats moves to the wing and Weiss takes the 2C, with Jarnkrok at 3C and Sammy gone. Oh darn, such a terrible situation.

Quote:
If we had Weiss I wouldn't really see him as a replacement for Helm, as there is almost no one I would rather see centering our 3rd line than Helm.
The idea is that we have enough depth (and notably, under-30 players) to run three scoring lines, a la the 90s/early 00s Wings or the 2007-08 and 2008-09 Wings.

That's how contenders work; depth+solid higher end talent. Either that or we trade off guys like Franzen for futures and watch Datsyuk and Zetterberg play out their Wings careers on a bottom feeder.

Quote:
Nyquist-Andersson-Brunner looks very promising, but add in even more speed with Helm and wow, it could be something. Don't know much about Weiss but is he better at faceoffs/defense than Helm?
Weiss is good defensively. He's around 51% on faceoffs this year, but he's normally around 53%-54%. Helm is generally around 52%-53%.

Weiss has tended to be better at ES and on the PP, while Helm has the advantage on the PK. So on the special teams they would actually be playing, they have outperformed the other. And Weiss has outperformed Helm at ES, when he would likely take more faceoffs.

Weiss is also a significant ES point producer; so playing reduced PP time wouldn't hurt him as much as it did a significant PP guy like Ray Whitney or Luc Robitaille when they were Wings.

Quote:
But having both Nyquist and Brunner on our 3rd line is dependant on us having a working top 6 next season.
If you go to the "You are the GM" thread, you can see my suggestion for what we should do. Obviously the Colaiacovo/Gustavsson/Samuelsson deal requires NTC waivers, but could easily be replaced with the compliance buyout of Cola (and perhaps Gus as well) and Sammy takes the spot I slotted for Hudler.