View Single Post
Old
12-30-2003, 08:57 PM
deandebean

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
No, it isn't. Some facts:

-Canada produces more top level talent than any other country.

-Canada produces by far the most top defensemen, goalies and checking line players

To say "These days, the best individual players, technically speaking, are europeans. Crosby will be the great exception" is not only false but completely selling Canadian talent short. Crosby will be the exception? The same way Nash, Heatley, Fleury, Staal, Horton, etcetera were exceptions? Crosby may wind up being better than all of them, but Canada has top level, game-breaking talent that is drafted every year. You make it sound like Crosby will be the exception to the rule that Canada can't produce talent.

Mike, I'm not saying that Canada does not produce talent anymore. I'm saying that the country doesn't produce them en masse, like it used to.

1 ROBERT LANG WAS
2 ILYA KOVALCHUK ATL
3 PAVEL DATSYUK DET
4 MARKUS NASLUND VAN
5 JOE SAKIC COL
6 ZIGMUND PALFFY LOS
7 MARC SAVARD ATL
8 BRETT HULL DET
9 LADISLAV NAGY
10 MATS SUNDIN
11 MARIAN HOSSA OTT
12 SHANE DOAN PHO
13 JAROMIR JAGR WAS
14 ALEX TANGUAY COL
15 TODD BERTUZZI VAN
16 SERGEI GONCHAR WAS
17 DANIEL ALFREDSSON OTT
18 JOE THORNTON BOS
19 VYACHESLAV KOZLOV
20 PAVOL DEMITRA

This is the top 20 up to date this season. You count them. How many Canadians/North Americans, and how many euros?

It used to be the other way around.

Heck, our best Canadian is closer to his retirement than anything else. 13 out of 20 are from Europe. It makes it close to 60 p. cent, while only 35 p. cent or so of the NHLPA's membership is composed of european players.

That means that Canada still produces a ton of hockey players. But not the quality it used to.

And that, my friend, is fact. You have it right in front of your eyes.

Last edited by deandebean: 12-30-2003 at 09:04 PM.