View Single Post
Old
04-24-2013, 01:24 AM
Ice Whole

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
I think this is a draft where you "draft for need" over BPA in terms of offensive contributions.

It reminds me of the 2006 draft, where PIT/CHI picked Staal/Toews 2nd/3rd overall because they felt they needed that big-bodied 2-way C over a pure-offense guy.

Backstrom was supposed to be the highest-rated forward in that draft IIRC.

That being said, Backstrom has turned into a solid 2-way force on his own, and up until his recent concussion issues may have been the best of all of them.

Another thing - how about that scoring clip on Drouin? 2.14 points/game The next closest guy in the Q with a clip of 1.94 is 6'3 205lb Russian Dmitri Jaskin (wow STL stole this guy in the 2nd round of 2011)

That's a ridiculous scoring pace in this post-juggernaut-London-Knights day and age. There's no one even remotely close to his scoring clip in the CHL right now (not like Kane back in 2007, where Kostitsyn/Gagner also put up some stupid numbers).

I think back - the last guy who scored at such a ridiculous clip was Sidney Crosby in 2005 (2.71) - where the next closest scorer was at <2point/game (his linemates).
I think Drouin will be the best player in this draft but if you are going to mention Drouin's stats, you should also mention Mackinnon has 23 points in 10 games. Both are scoring at a ridiculous pace.