View Single Post
Old
04-24-2013, 04:56 AM
LeBlondeDemon10
BlindLemon Haystacks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzy19 View Post
Some very interesting commentary by Robitaille here on his relationship with Gretzky starting at 11:29. If you read between the lines, his words seem to be quite telling, and Luc seems to be talking a little bit out of both sides of his mouth here. He obviously idolized Gretzky at one point, yet judging by what he's NOT saying, you can almost tell he has some opinions he is sort of keeping for himself. At the 14:00 minute mark, the interviewer asks him to take us into the locker room and expand on how his relationship with Gretzky developed, but instead Luc starts talking about the hockey related things he learned from him. He also takes a subtle jab at Gretzky's on ice cussing right off the bat, and how he realized Gretz wasn't as perfect as he thought he was.... He also mentions (almost ironically) that he couldn't talk much at the dinner table in Gretzky's presence due to intimidation of his idol.... What I got from all of it is they never developed a true friendship like, for example, Gretzky's friendship with Bernie Nichols or Brett Hull....

A really cool interview. Luc seems to be a really cool guy actually...
IDK. Think you are reading too much between the lines? He just seems like a starry eyed teenage girl when talking about 99. He keeps it to hockey and avoids the personal stuff, whatever that may be. We can speculate all we want, but I don't think there is much there. How do you develop a relationship with anyone you idolize? I don't think its possible until you drop the idolizing. If there is any rift between them, its half of Luc's responsibility too. He does refer to learning that Gretzky became just like another guy to him. Maybe Luc's miffed that his fantasy was shattered? Many of us never get to meet our idols and the fantasy stays alive well into adulthood/old age.

LeBlondeDemon10 is offline   Reply With Quote