View Single Post
Old
04-24-2013, 09:47 AM
LePoche69

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Yandle makes little sense for the Habs, he is another offensive d-man, we have tons of those in the pipeline, makes no sense to get a guy like that at what his cost will be. Poor use of assets.

Markov has lost a step, no doubt, but he is not a liability like you are trying to paint him. Losing Emelin hurts his game for sure as he needs a big body to do the heavy moving in the defensive zone. He is still one of the better PMD's and PP QB's around, he just needs more help than 3-4 years ago.

I could see a deal for Seabrook but I'm not sure he is on the market. I think the best option may be a 1 year fix on the UFA market to bridge until Tinordi Beaulieu and Pateryn are NHL ready. No point in trading valuable assets and blocking their path in a year or two.
We're just not saying it the same way, I think.

I agree Yandle may not fill such a big need because of his style, but he could do what Markov used to do but isn't doing anymore, is younger, and will be able to do it for many years. But of course I would prefer a Seabrook since he brings other elements to the table.

And I don't agree with your view on Markov. It's not just his physical ability in front of the net or near the ramps. He can't follow any winger with decent speed anymore.

And no, I don't think a stopgap will suffice. It would take many more years to a youngster to do what Markov used to do. A guy like Beaulieu may be able to do Markov's job on the PP in 2-3 years, but won't be able to play as intelligently as Markov was playing in his own territory for another 3-5 years. D-men take longer to develop a complete game -- see Diaz: beside PK, he's probably the most complete d-man on the team, but he's already 27 years old. And see Markov himself: it took him 5-7 years to become the complete d-man he was before his injuries.

At one point, a team must stop thinking "the guy will be good in 2-3 years". If you allready have youngsters performing, then you need to fill the voids to take the next step. And having a #1.5/#2 d-man short term is one of this void because Habs have nothing in the pipeline to do this job short term.