Rumors & Proposals Thread Vol. 15 | Oilers Pick 7th OV
View Single Post
04-24-2013, 11:32 AM
Join Date: Sep 2006
Originally Posted by
If Mac-T insists on a a bold move to bring a new player in, I think the first thing he should do is bring in a #1 defenseman.
That being said, it's a tough move to make, but the following legitimate top-4 defensemen would suffice IMO:
- solid RHD who plays a Smid-like shutdown game, with better ability to move the puck. Would be great for any top4 role
Hemsky+ for Michalek
- underrated LHD who has been solid for 10+ years now. Great compliment to young developing offensive defensemen, and could be ideal partner for Justin Schultz.
Sign to 3yr, $3.25M deal
- emerging LHD who has been used in 2nd pairing role alongside Lydman/Allen/Lovejoy this season, never looking out of place. Similar potential to Tallinder, but much younger (2008 draftee)
Gagner for Sbisa+
- going to be tough to get out of Boston, but he's looked good paired with a true #1 defenseman in Chara, and not out of place with Ference on #2 pairing. RHD with a big shot, physical play, and good defense. No real place for our roster though unless one of Petry/Schultz is moved.
Hemsky+ for Boychuk
- solid LHD playing 2nd pairing role in BUF behind Ehrhoff. Played really tough minutes with Regehr earlier in the season and looked like the better of the 2 defensemen. Again - a guy suited to 2nd pairing role. Has never spent extended amount of time in top-pairing role.
Hemsky+ for Sekera
- He's playing the toughest minutes amongst Chicago defenseman alongside Oduya and the pair has kept its head out of the water. He's emerging into his own, and would be a perfect partner for Justin Schultz as he develops.
Hjalmarsson for Gagner
- big-bodied 23 year old that's been playing impressively alongside Robidas on Dallas' top pairing. He's definitely not looked out of place, and has been great in a defensive role. A LHD, he's another guy we could throw with Justin Schultz heading forward.
- he's really come into his own since Lidstrom's retirement, and is a big reason why that inexperienced blue line in Detroit hasn't fallen apart. Arguably more reliable than Kronwall at even strength, and has been playing on the top pairing at LHD.
Hemsky+ for Ericsson
- he's had a rough year, but numbers don't tell the whole story for him this season. Florida is a terrible team with terrible goaltending, and all of their defensemen have struggled because of this. He's faced the toughest competition on the team and his -20 is still better than 2 other defensemen on his team. A risk, but could be had for a Hemsky-like player. Puck-moving LHD.
Hemsky for Campbell; Horcoff for Campbell if Tallon is looking for a cheap(er) buy-out
- one of those under-the-radar guys in Nashville that's been playing in the shadows of Hamhuis/Weber/Suter/Josi in past years - Klein has shown an ability to win matchups in a 2nd pairing role. He possesses some decent offensive ability as well
Hemsky for Klein+
Travis Hamonic/Andrew MacDonald
- I'm dreaming with this, but Hamonic has settled into a top-pairing role alongside Andrew McDonald in NYI this season, and both have somewhat kept their heads up out of water (similar to Smid/Petry). If NYI is hunting for a 2C in the off-season, either of these solid defensemen would probably be available for a Gagner-like package.
Gagner+ for Hamonic, Gagner for MacDonald
Marc Methot/Eric Gryba
- I don't know what OTT would possibly want from EDM, but these guys have been playing top-pairing minutes for the Sens this season and have been doing well. 6'3, 200+ LHD/RHD, they'd be serviceable in a top-4 role.
Gagner+/Hemsky+ for Methot, Hemsky for Gryba
- has been a versatile defenseman throughout his career, and as a LHD would look good alongside Justin Schultz as the kid hones his game. I doubt PIT makes him available, and they'd probably opt to move the overrated Orpik instead.
MPS for Niskanen
Karl Alzner/John Carlson
- both are useful defensemen that woudl require an overpay to pry away from a suddenly resurgent WSH franchise. But if Mike Ribeiro bolts this off-season, they'll be in the market or a 2C, and with Mike Green re-emerging, may be willing to part with one of these 2:
Gagner++ for John Carlson/Karl Alzner
All good names, I would add Klesla in Phoenix to that. Other possible under rated guys are Emelin and Diaz in MTL, CLitsome in Win, Stralman in NYR, Fayne in NJ
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by Bobblehead