Thread: Speculation: Who should we draft?
View Single Post
Old
04-24-2013, 12:06 PM
Iron Duke

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
I'm not so sure. I agree they need to replace Vinny eventually, but at this point, they would have either Mac or Vinny as a #3C. Seems like a waste of assets to me. They would be better off IMO taking (that Russian whose name I can't spell) or someone like Nurse later and picking up an asset like Blum.

I could be wrong, of course, just seems like a top 6 center is the one thing that team doesn't need. They literally could use players at every position except that.
This assumes that teams are drafting off need, rather than Best Player Available, which may be faulty reasoning. Though it's pretty common to see top picks making the jump immediately to the NHL at this point, organizational needs can often drastically fluctuate between when a player is drafted and when they begin to start achieving their potential. Most GMs simply prefer to choose the most talented player with the highest ceiling, regardless of position. Roster holes can be met through other means, while talent and potential are less easy to come by. If MacKinnon drops, it is purely due to 3-4 teams believing that there are players better than him in the draft.

By this same reasoning, if Seth Jones is undoubtedly the best player on the board when we pick, he should be our pick.