View Single Post
04-24-2013, 12:37 PM
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Nichushkin is clearly the wild-card, no doubt.

I don't think it is that much of a stretch to think that Edmonton takes Monahan or Barkov over Nurse--that's the overwhelming perception of their board's fans, for instance, who presumably know something about the team's drafting tendencies and organizational needs.

Anyway, I'm not uncomfortable with Ristolainen either. You draft him, and you pretty much know you have a 3/4 defenseman who can steady a 2nd pairing (in the future) and quarterback a 2nd PP unit. He's probably one of the safest choices in the top-10--but I guess the question is whether the Flyers, who rarely find themselves drafting this high, are best suited to take such a conservative approach. If we're up, and Jones, Mackinnon, Drouin, Barkov, Monahan, Lindholm, and Nurse are all off the board, I think he's our best choice.

Surprising no one.

But, seriously, if we take Shinkaruk or Mantha in the top-10, I'll be a bit disappointed. I know that it is difficult to criticize the organization's drafting when it comes to forwards--and either or both may well end up to be very, very good NHL players. But we know that we need a young defenseman--and this is a chance to cash in on an awful abbreviated season. If a top-tier forward falls to us (like Couturier in 2011), that's a different matter, but I'd hope that they would take Ristolainen (or even Zadorov) over Shinkaruk or Mantha.
i agree, i wouldn't take either in the top 10.

i was just saying that if, for whatever reason, we were in a position where it was between Shinkaruk and Mantha, i'd pick Mantha. I like Mantha a lot, but obviously this teams #1 priority is a defenseman, and if were in the position to pick Nurse, it's a no brainer IMO. After Nurse though, it becomes more murky. I like Ristolainen, but I'm not as high on him as some other people seem to be. I like Zadorov, but i don't see top pairing potential in him. I see him as developing into a slightly more aggressive Braydon Coburn. Pulock is a mystery, his ceiling is probably that of a top pairing OFD, but his floor is a career AHLer... I like Morrissey and Theodore more than Pulock actually, but i see all 3 as being more 'project' type guys, which scares me with our organization.

all in all, I'm still an advocator of doing anything we can to get the #1 overall pick. Overpay, i don't care; i want Seth Jones on this team.