View Single Post
04-24-2013, 04:04 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
You missed the Richard bothers, Béliveau, Plante, Harvey, Geoffrion, et al. On the other hand, you haven't yet experienced the infirmities of old age. I'm a spry octogenarian but I'm no longer the fastest on the tennis court. One (slight) compensation is that I've finally learned to hit a clean topspin backhand. I hope to develop a more effective serve when I go on vacation in November because there won't be any contemporaries for me to take advantage of.

Maurice Richard remains my all time hockey hero but the greatest player I ever saw was Bobby Orr.
I've read some of your background and - not that you need my confirmation - you've had a very impressive resume of life experiences. But even more impressive than your past is the ability to stay active and healthy in the present into your 80s. You also get bonus points for fencing with 20-year-olds on a message board. You mentioned tennis - my wife's step-father remains a major tennis buff at 75; it's the only thing keeping him from total arterial blockage, considering his eastern European diet of fat-fried fat. Like you, he still aims to keep improving until either his arm or his heart burn out. He's on the courts in Montreal, Stowe and Florida, depending on the season. Wonder if you know him (which would mean I might know you). He's no hockey fan, but he's one of the most interesting people I know; you're probably no slouch yourself.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote