Thread: Player Discussion: Chris Kreider
View Single Post
Old
04-24-2013, 04:55 PM
haveandare

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by htk30 View Post
Kreider's total ice time this season (in 21 GP) is roughly 210 minutes. So his average ice time/game is around 10 minutes. However he hasn't played more than 9 minutes in a single game in all of April. In comparison, Pyatt's average ice time/game is about 15-17 minutes a night. Pyatt has played in twice as many games and managed 7 points more than Kreider (Pyatt is 6-4-10, Kreider is 2-1-3). Imagine if Kreider was consistently given 15-17 minutes a night, even with subpar linemates? He may even be able to produce or find his groove in a game.

If you went to work an 8-hour shift at a new job and were still getting acclimated to your superiors, co-workers, and the workload, how much would you learn if your boss sent you home 30 minutes into your shift after you made a couple mistakes? What if that happened for a week straight? After that week, you were sent to another branch of the company and given extra responsibilities and you thrived. You then get brought back to the original branch, but were given even less time to work. Do you really think that's a good way to learn and become comfortable at a job?
For the sake of this example, let's assume this job that I'm working at is similar to being an NHL player in that 1. It's what I absolutely love to do, 2. I get paid the same no matter how long I'm there, and 3. This swapping of responsibilities (callups and demotions) and varying amounts of work-time were normal practice is the industry for someone in my role (which they are for rookie players) - then I don't think it'd be such a problem. Being an NHL player isn't comparable to most jobs for so many reasons.

Regarding the first paragraph, I don't think that's a good way to develop a top prospect, to just feed them 15-17 minutes a night regardless of how they play. If they're hustling all shift every shift and making things happen, fine, give them as much time as they can handle. I just don't think Kreider has been earning more time than he's been given. If the Whale were still playing, I'd rather he be kept down there and get a good thing going, but at this point, he's on the ice, working on his defense, working on his hitting, and if he starts to make an impact for a few shifts in a row, he can be moved up and maybe establish himself.