View Single Post
Old
04-24-2013, 05:21 PM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
I already said +/- is a flawed stat. It's not usable for comparing players on different teams, IMO.

If anyone here is arguing that Pirri does NOT need to get better defensively before he deserves a shot, than you're kidding yourself.
Yes, it's a flawed stat, and you're using it incorrectly.

You can't simply say "Oh he's +11, that sucks" as a flat statement and pass it off as truth. For one, you would be wrong. There aren't a tremendous amount of forwards above +10 on non-playoff teams. More importantly, though, you can't use +/- this way because it is a meaningless stat unless put into context.

Context in this case is a comparison to his teammates. He has the second highest +/- of any forward on Rockford. That is more than acceptable.
The "his defense sucks" garbage has become absurdly overstated. Yes, he's not Toews. Of course, he's not the the defensive disaster that was 07-08 Kane.
It seems as if a number of posters are going to yell "zomg his defense sucks" every time they hear Pirri's name, without ever acknowledging that he may have improved his game this season. I know, I'm just preaching heresy right now. Unheard-of stuff.

He's a scoring forward. He scores points. And Rockford is pretty mediocre. A +11 from a forward on that team - judging by the +/- of the team's forwards in general - is pretty damn solid.

Last edited by Chris Hansen: 04-24-2013 at 06:18 PM. Reason: edited out last part
Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote