View Single Post
Old
04-24-2013, 06:03 PM
AlexanderTheGood

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Hockey Fan View Post
I would like to see a discussion about the Crosby line. I know that he can play with everyone, but if Neal/Bergeron plays with him, it will change the whole line-up. If Tavares doesn't play with him, where he will play ? Is he capable to be a 3rd-4th line winger ?

I thought that Giroux ans Stamkos could play with Crosby together, but now I think it's highly unlikely. I'm sure that at least one of his two linemates will be a power-forward, physical player. Rick Nash and Eric Staal are players who can definitely play that role. I don't know about Neal. Is he physical / good defensively enough to be compared with Staal and Nash ?

Let's see who has a good chance to play with Crosby:

LW: Nash, E.Staal, Tavares, Hall, Neal, Stamkos, Kunitz
RW: Nash, Neal, Giroux, Bergeron

Nash and E.Staal are no-brainers. Tavares with Crosby, that would be clearly awesome. Taylor Hall has an awesome speed, he could be a great fit too. Giroux and Stamkos could play with Crosby on a power-play.

How does your 1st line look like ?

Hall / Tavares - Crosby - Nash
Stamkos - Getzlaf - St. Louis
E.Staal - Toews - Sharp
Tavares / Hall - Bergeron - Giroux
13th: M.Richards / J.Staal

I would be pretty ok with this, although the 4th line with Tavares looks more like a scoring line, than a checking-line. Many people will say that Tavares is not a 4th line winger, but I don't think it really matters on team Canada.

Defensemen: (a)

Letang - Weber
Bouwmeester - Pietrangelo
Keith - Seabrook
7th: Doughty
8th: Subban

(b)

Keith - Weber
Subban - Doughty
Bouwmeester - Letang / Pietrangelo
7th: Pietrangelo / Letang
8th: Seabrook / M.Staal

Do you think that this roster can be good defensively against the Russians, against the Sedins, Zetterberg etc. ??
Bouwmeester? I'm as big a fan of Bo as anybody, but he has to proven himself in the playoffs before I would ever consider having him on the olympic squad. To put him in the same ranks as Letang is just plain silly... Otherwise, good post. I love the inclusions of Jordan Staal, Marc Staal, Mike Richards, and Patrick Sharp, but all these player's inclusions are highly contingent on future performance within the next several months. If Vancouver is any indication, Yzerman will go with whoever's hot at the time.

The issue of where to plug Tavares into the lineup is one that plagues me as well. Too good for the fourth line or checking duties, but not elite on the Crosby-Toews level. Tavares is really a natural centre, so I have him as the interchangable thirteenth forward--this allows Johnny to play on all lines minus the checking and penalty killing units in the events of injury or underperformance.