View Single Post
Old
04-25-2013, 12:27 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey53 View Post
I didn't like the 48 game schedule either, but it was the same for every team. Some teams had more injuries than others but you can not use that as an excuse. We missed the playoffs because of lack of talent.
There is a reason why heavily system based, tight defensive teams have struggled this year. Teams that are effective as a cohesive unit, rather than a bunch of individuals have suffered. The reason being the rash of injuries, the total lack of training camp, and no practice time. The Blues were the top Western team last year, no? The Hawks barely squeaked in. Now they've flip flopped. Anaheim was a whipping post last year. Now? Toast of the league. Hell, even Edmonton looked half decent for part of the year. If it had been a 24 game season, they'd have made it. Nashville and Phoenix are traditionally always right there, both teams have been well out of it basically the whole year.

I'm not saying this schedule we've been almost totally ineffective this season. I am saying it's a contributing factor to our been less effective this season. There are other factors, but this is one of them.

Bobby Ryan, Corey Perry, Ryan Getzlaf, Pat Kane, Jonathan Toews, Marian Hossa, Patrick Sharp, etc. can just show up and dominate. Guys like Hanzal, Fisher, Legwand, Vermette, etc. need the help of the entire team to lift them up and make them effective. Game breakers versus system players. It's really no wonder.