View Single Post
04-25-2013, 12:51 PM
Relegate the Oilers
vCash: 50
Originally Posted by cobra427 View Post
I can see your point on blocked shots influencing shots against. I still think, and I heard Tip in an interview, scoring chances are down for the year. With no practice time, at the beginning of the season, you would think scoring chances would be up with the sloppy play, but they are not. It leads me to think Smith was making those key saves last year but not this year, while scoring chances were less and they should be more based on sloppy early play and no preparations. It is always easier to remember defensive lapses when they end up in our net(this year) but not when Smith makes a great save(last year). I think Smith was 80% of the solution last year and 80% of the problem for the team this year. No preparation, Smith being injured and over worked, might have something to do with his performance.

The subject of our D being not as good as last year, then which D? Yandle seems similar, Z is a shot blocking machine, DMO was 20 pounds lighter and clearly better, OEL was good, Stone they are very happy with, Klesla is solid. Who underperformed? I would take Stone and Z this year over Rozi and AA performance wise..

Would agree with this. It's also worth mentioning how in the not too distant past (last year) bashing Yandle was pretty common for give aways and bonehead moves. You often don't notice unless things are going wrong, and I think Yandle's defense has actually improved. Similar argument could be made for Morris, and he just flat out looks so much better this season. I don't buy the defense underperforming one bit, and like Cobra said, neither does Tippet.