Thread: Nurse vs Trouba
View Single Post
Old
04-25-2013, 01:48 PM
sanitysrequiem

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
I am also confused by the term "athleticism" now that I see it being applied to hockey prospects. Does this mean that they are good skaters? Trouba is a fantastic skater. Are they strong and well-balanced? Trouba is both. Do they have good timing and a good shot? Yes to both, for Trouba.

How would you apply the "athleticism" label to some of hockey's all-time greats? Was Gretzky athletic? What about Lemieux? Crosby? Malkin?

I think this is just some new jargon that has crept into hockey scouting lingo. At the end of the day, a player should be judged on hockey sense, skating, puck skills, strength, endurance, and character, etc. Several of those criteria require good "athleticism", but it's more precise to just say what is meant by that term.

I'll vote Trouba. He is further in his development than Nurse and at this point shows tremendous upside and few weaknesses.
From a hockey perspective, I think of athleticism as strength, explosiveness, agility, balance, reflexes, hand-eye coordination, skating ability, and lung recovery. And yes, all-time greats have lots of those characteristics, of course some more than others.

Last edited by sanitysrequiem: 04-25-2013 at 02:03 PM.
sanitysrequiem is offline   Reply With Quote