View Single Post
Old
04-25-2013, 02:52 PM
LegionOfDoom91

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
higher percentages of Americans are going into the NHL draft every year it seems. i know a good chuck of them play in the CHL but if all young American players went that route then the programs here would never improve. i know it'll take a long time but eventually i think we'll see the gap between developmental programs (Canada and USA) narrow considerably but only if quality players decide to stay in America.

as you said a few great players have already come out of college programs, Toews specifically comes to mind and that number should go up considerably in the next 20 or so years. i think he came out of the WCHA if i'm not mistaken which is kinda funny considering he's Canadian.
The USNTDP and the USHL have been pumping out a lot of players lately. The CHL and NCAA are both good options in different ways.

The CHL is geared more to players who are physically ready and closer to the NHL. The NCAA is geared more to players who aren't as physically ready and not as close to the NHL. Players like Toews though are good enough to where it doesn't really matter which route they go.

The US produces a ton of quality players but are lacking a generational player (Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Stamkos etc.) at this point. I will say this though the US has the best track record for developing goaltenders out of all the countries recently.

Most of the recent US kids who went up to Canada to play were either with the USNTDP or USHL prior to that so the US is still doing the bulk of the work in developing these kids. It just came down to where they wanted to go after that or the team they were drafted by pushed them to go up there.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 04-25-2013 at 03:41 PM.