Old
04-25-2013, 03:19 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haute Couturier View Post
The thing is I don't think trading him or another forward is going to improve this team. Yes, we need defense, but they are no longer elite offensively with great depth. They can't afford to keep giving up forwards. Briere is gone (and is done anyway) and Jake is likely going to regress to the mean next year. They need Coots and Schenn going forward to be a big part of the offense.
I disagree. If they get rid of Couturier, they still have a glut of talented centers. Giroux/Schenn/Laughton/Cousins. That is still better than most teams. Again, I am not saying trade him for nothing or that Couturier is not worth keeping, only that this team has bigger needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Or, they could keep him and build a team properly so they don't have to sell core players every few years to fill the holes. That would result in a stronger team overall. Players like Couturier are rare.
I don't see how trading a good young player for another good young player is not properly building a team. Not properly building a team would be sticking with what you have and letting a weakness stay weak when you could upgrade that position without damaging a position of strength. And once again, I must stress that I am not saying to trade Couturier for peanuts or anything like that. I don't know what I would or wouldn't trade him for. But I think it is pretty clear that there is a log-jam at center on this team and a glaring weakness on the blue line. It is not a stretch to think that one of the centers will be dealt. If one is dealt, Couturier likely will net the Flyers the best return.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote