Thread: Fix the Oilers.
View Single Post
Old
04-25-2013, 03:29 PM
doobie604

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by missinthejets View Post
but they've done that! They took Marincin (who looks to be showing some good promise as a first year pro) in the 2nd round the year they took Hall, They took Klefbom with their next pick after they got RNH, they took Musil in the 2nd round as well, then there's a few guys they drafted later who have shown some good things as well... But it takes more than 3 years for defencemen who aren't at the top of the draft to go from draft pick to NHL player. Hell it took Petry like 5 years to make the NHL and that's not even an obscene amount of time and he's still in a position where he has to do more than he's ready for.

It's not the drafting that is the oilers problem, it's failing to bring in vets to help the young players. I mean seriously write up a list of Oiler players who have turned in good performances this year, guarantee there's no one in the late 20s on that list.... Maybe Smid I guess he's gotten into that age group.
2010 2nd round, Alex Petrovic and Justin Faulk are 2 notables Edm could of picked instead of Pitlick, 2009 Orlov and Barrie were available. Bad drafting without the number 1 pick is the exact reason why they haven't improved. They have no support. Gagner draft year they had 3 1st round pick and Gagner is the only NHLer out of the group. Not saying they need to get NHLer with every pick, but you need to be able to pick up some gems without a gimme. I would say most successful teams have some very important players picked in the later rounds.

doobie604 is offline   Reply With Quote