View Single Post
Old
04-25-2013, 04:28 PM
YouppiKiYay

vCash: 500
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/ho...242/story.html

There was the suggestion this morning -- not a great one in my opinion -- that the Canucks could put their AHL affiliate in Rogers Arena. Canucks have been long after a second tenant, and I recall a few years ago word that they were meeting with NBA officials.

I don't see it. I think Seattle area is much more likely, simply because Canucks fans could make the trip and help attendance.

Quote:
Rogers Arena has additional dressing rooms that could easily be converted to AHL standards and the infrastructure for hockey operations, ticketing and marketing are already in place with the parent Canucks.

There are cost and logistical challenges, including territorial rights that the Fraser Valley Sports and Entertainment Group has to operate an AHL team in the region — a 50-mile radius that would impact a Vancouver franchise located 43 miles away. The Canucks would have to get AHL and FVSEG approval to operate in the area.
Quote:
Gillis did admit that a second tenant would be attractive on several levels and ticket prices would be a fraction of the $65-$300 range for Canuck seats.

The Heat had a price range of $17-$42 this season.

“It would be a very different fan base and ticket prices are significantly different and it would create a different in-game experience,” said Gillis. “But again, it’s premature.”

An AHL team in Vancouver would affect the WHL Giants and BCHL teams in the Lower Mainland — Surrey Eagles, Coquitlam Express and Langley Rivermen. The Giants have a ticket price range of $19-$23.

YouppiKiYay is offline   Reply With Quote