View Single Post
Old
09-11-2006, 07:30 PM
Edge

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdw View Post
And 4 years ago Lundqvist was Swedish junior player of the year.
3 years ago he was awarded best goalie in SEL, lead Indians to the SEL championship and took the national team to a silver in the WC.

// hdw
And by the same age Montoya had backstopped backstopped a team to a WJC where he was named the best goaltender in the tournament, was an AHL all-star and was one of the top goalies in the league before getting hurt where he would've challanged for the top goaltending honor.

He was also:

Named to Central Collegiate Hockey Association All-Tournament Team, 2002-03.
Named to Central Collegiate Hockey Association All-Rookie Team, 2002-03.
Named to Central Collegiate Hockey Association All-Star Second Team, 2003-04.
Named to National Collegiate Athletic Association (West) All-American Second Team, 2003-04.

Named the Most Outstanding Player of the NCAA Midwest Regional and selected to the CCHA Super Six All-Tournament team

Led the United States U-17 team the to the gold medal at the World U-17

Challenge in Winnipeg, Manitoba … Helped the U-17 team capture gold at the 2001 Four Nations Tournament in Slovakia.

We can list a ton of awards for both guys and that's a testament to how good they both are.

There statement isn't that Montoya WILL be better than Lundqvist (as it somehow keeps getting twisted into) it's that he COULD.

My position is how it always has been, I'm not picking either one right now because I'd much rather see where Montoya is at the age 0f 24 and how Lundqvist does as well.

Heck if the best goalie (however unlikely) is Chris Holt, I'd be happy. Just so long as the Rangers keep THAT guy.

Last edited by Edge: 09-11-2006 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Want to add that my comparison of Montoya's accomplishment was meant to be compared to Lundqvists junior level accomplishments, as was the AHL to Swedish pro. Realized it might be confused.
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote