View Single Post
04-25-2013, 10:34 PM
22 and counting
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Kloparren View Post
I think we should make an aggreggate list with criteria. Terrible Ted Lindsay was a tough player but he was not a goon even though he'd fight when he had to for example.

The list of goons should not include any offensive stars. Basically players who were 3rd liners or below for most of their careers AND players who played pre-O6 era and either fought a lot or fought while being less important to their team.
Policeman might be the more appropriate term. A third liner who keeps the other team honest and keeps them from taking liberties from the stars on his team, thus opening more ice for them.
Neil from Ottawa would be the prototype of this player in todays game, Mcsorley or a Semenko from the eighties, Bobby Schmautz in the 70s, John ferguson in the sixties. None were stars but all contributed and were considered a valuable member of their team.
policeman is a term that has fallen out of use nowadays, goon seems to encompass everyone who can/will fight in the game today and it is unfair. Darren Mccarty was a policeman, he was a grinder who protected the stars, while I considered Kocur a goon I never once considered Mac a goon, he could play the game as well as muck it up. I think they are really two separate categories.

yave1964 is offline   Reply With Quote