View Single Post
Old
04-26-2013, 10:23 AM
BowDangles

vCash: 500
These are from Elliotte Friedman's 30 thoughts.

22. Oilers GM Craig MacTavish, asked if he sees Taylor Hall as a winger or a centre: "We wanted to try him at centre this season, but aside from some faceoff work when Ryan Nugent-Hopkins struggled, it never materialized ... Terry O'Reilly always used to tell me, 'Position is just a place where you line up when they drop the puck.' Taylor covers a lot of ice from the wing."

23. MacTavish had another good quote: "My vision of the team will be very obvious very quickly." He pointed to Montreal as a team he hoped to emulate. It's tough to make trades right after the season because you can't deal with anyone in the playoffs and those who are out of it prefer to decompress before making important decisions. It's a good thing he was at the under-18s in Russia because this week's been a nightmare.

24. MacTavish did not specifically address Oscar Klefbom, but the sense is the Oilers consider the left-shooting defensive prospect an untouchable. I also think they are realistic about his impact, especially after Justin Schultz's late-season struggles. They believe he can be a top-pairing blue-liner, but maybe not for two years.

25. Finally, Edmonton is going to try and upgrade in goal. Devan Dubnyk's held them in a lot more games than the Oilers deserve, but they don't have much throughout the organization. I wouldn't be surprised to see them chase guys who can help them in both the NHL and AHL.

I am surprised and happy that MacT is looking for an upgrade in goal. I hope they get it, Dubnyk has played good this year but really needs to improve his rebound control. I don't see him being the answer next year..

Also to "emulate" Montreal seemed interesting to me... I am also glad that they are looking at Klefbom as a couple years away from playing big minutes. I would hate to see him get thrown to the wolves his first year in the NHL. They need to ease him into things.

I also wonder if they start Hall at centre starting at the beginning of training camp (Hall said if he was going to try it, he would want to do it from the start of the year).